- Main area
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Job ref
- Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
- Employer type
- Darent Valley Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 Per Year
- Salary period
- 04/04/2023 08:00
Consultant in Gastroenterologist
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
Dartford and Gravesham NHS trust
Full time: 10 PAs
This is a new post and the appointee will join a team of Gastroenterologists. The team currently consists of 6 permanent and 1 long term locum Consultants. The Gastroenterology team have responsibility for both inpatient and outpatient care. The appointee will take part in the on call rota for the Upper GI bleed (1 in 8). Only in very exceptional circumstance, he/she may be invited to partake in GIM rota very very infrequently, 1 in 80.
Any sub-specialist interest that the applicant wishes to maintain can be flexibly explored.
Main duties of the job
The Endoscopy Unit at Darent Valley Hospital is a purpose built three roomed Endoscopy Unit with modern equipment for cleaning and sterilisation on site. All the Endoscopes are Olympus Endoscopes (290 series) complete with new stacks including two screens for viewing and an integrated colonoscopy scope guide feature. C02 insufflation is available and ERBE diathermy plus access to APC. Darent Valley Hospital is an accredited BCSP site providing colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy procedures.
There is a Screening Room for ERCP and oesophageal stenting or dilatation equipped with a mobile C-arm within the Endoscopy Unit in the largest room which was purpose built for screening procedures. The Endoscopy Unit is managed by the Medical Directorate and provides gastrointestinal and respiratory interventional procedures such as bronchoscopy, EBUS and thoracoscopy services for the Trust.
There is a weekly upper GI cancer MDM led by Gastroenterology and a surgically led Lower GI cancer MDM. A monthly MDM for inflammatory bowel disease is held as well as a monthly Clinical Governance meeting. We have a daily emergency out of hours gastroscopy rota.
Prospective candidates are invited to visit the Trust by arrangement with:
Dr Jonathan Kwan, Medical Divisional Director via 01322 428411
Working for our organisation
We are committed to being an inclusive and diverse employer. We strive to employ people who reflect the communities we serve, and aim to create an inclusive culture where everyone can reach their full potential. Whatever your race, ethnicity, belief, generation, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, disability or experience, you’ll appreciate the opportunities we give you to work in an inclusive atmosphere. We welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences to build on the progress we’ve achieved to make our Trust diverse and the best place to work. We celebrate the diversity of thought, viewpoints and ideas that help us overcome challenges and embrace new possibilities.
If you are considering applying for a role, please be aware that as an NHS Employee you may have contact with vulnerable service users. We strongly encourage that all of our staff are double vaccinated against COVID-19 and are vaccinated annually against Flu, in order to protect the health and safety of our staff and our patients. Your commitment will help us to put the safety and care of our patients first, as well as helping us to protect you and your colleagues.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Active participation in Research will be encouraged and supported. Darent Valley Hospital has an active Research and Development Team supported by Specialist Research Nurses.
Suitable office accommodation, IT facilities and secretarial support will be provided within the Gastroenterology Department.
The Endoscopy Unit at Queen Mary’s Hospital Sidcup provides diagnostic gastroscopy and colonoscopy procedures.
The post will involve a rotation at the main Darent Valley site to include inpatient care on the Gastroenterology Ward. This involves the care of general Gastroenterology patients, liver disease patients and some general medical patients. During the on-ward period the Consultants undertake ward rounds and whilst off-ward they carry out additional endoscopy lists or clinics. Currently 1 Consultant is on-ward at a time, based on Mulberry Ward. Another Consultant will be carrying out inpatient referral service.
- •Full GMC Registration
- •MBBS or equivalent
- •MRCP (UK) or an equivalent qualification
- •Holds CCT or equivalent or will obtain within 6 months of interview date (both Gastroenterology and General Internal Medicine).
- Other degrees, e.g. BSc MSc, MD, PhD..
- ERCP experience at level of independent operator
- Clinical Nutrition experience as part of the standard curriculum for Gastroenterology Training.
- Clinical Governance principles
- •Awareness of current General Medical practices
- •Assessment against the Trust values: Caring with Compassion; Respect and Dignity; Striving to Excel; Professional Standards; Working Together
- •Ability to make decisions at Consultant level
- •Sufficient leadership, organisational, communication, professional and personal skills to effectively undertake the role of Consultant
- •Ability to inspire, lead and motivate team
- •Good team working skills
- •Computer-literate in clinical software and Microsoft Office applications (word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database analysis)
- •Wide experience in General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology
- •Full and independent management of clinical patient workload
- •Experience of teaching doctors-in training and undergraduates
- •Experience of clinical audit
- •Experience of collaborative clinical or laboratory research.
- •Demonstrates commitment to high quality service delivery
- •Able to cope with pressure
- •Understands importance of feedback, and acts on feedback
- •Sympathetic understanding of patients and staff needs
- •Committed to continuing personal development (existing consultants must be able to demonstrate active participation in a recognised CME scheme)
- •Agreement to live within 30 minutes’ drive of base hospital – Darent Valley site
- To have published clinical work in peer-reviewed journals.
Our staff are our most valuable asset. We are committed to making staff feel appreciated, supported and included in the Trust’s successes. Our mission is to be an outstanding place to work providing the very best care for our patients and excellent career opportunities for our staff. Everything we do is guided by our core values and behaviours, identified by our staff and embedded throughout the organisation.
We have the highest CQC rating of all Acute NHS Trusts in Kent and Medway (Good). The CQC highlighted that managers promoted a positive culture that supported, valued staff and created a sense of common purpose based upon shared values.
The Trust is a great place to work, stay, develop a career and enjoy a healthy work life balance. We have made and are delivering on a wide range of commitments to staff; health and wellbeing; equality; diversity and inclusion; access to education and career development. During 2020 we sett up quality councils, driven by our staff to create a culture of shared governance and quality improvement.
We have a strong focus on innovation and improvement. Part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ (GSTT) ‘Healthcare Alliance’ we are introducing new models of care to improve clinical outcomes for patients. Our association with GSTT also gives staff wishing to develop their skills excellent opportunities to work across numerous specialities.
As our local population increases, our services and skills are expanding and adapting to meet demand. We are continuously looking at best practice models to enhance and improve the services we offer.
The Trust provides services at Darent Valley Hospital and Queen Mary’s Hospital, for a local population of over 500,000 people.
If you would like to be part of our innovative and forward thinking team putting patients at the centre of all we do, we invite you to #joinourfamily.
The NHS are striving towards “we work flexibly” as a workforce, we want to ensure that you can work in a way that is best for us, our patients, and importantly for you. We offer many flexible working opportunities, speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement for you and if it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Please note this vacancy may close earlier than stated to aid efficient processing of applications. To ensure your application will be considered please submit it at your earliest convenience. If you have not heard from us within 21 days of the closing date please assume that you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.
Please note, that due to the limited number of car parking spaces, car parking permits will be allocated subject to compliance with the Trusts eligibility criteria and availability of spaces. Permit holders are not guaranteed a car parking space.
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust is a smoke free organisation. To improve public health smoking or vaping is not permitted anywhere on the hospital site.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
- Gastro (PDF, 952.2KB)
- Privacy Notice (PDF, 141.7KB)
- Staff Car Parking (PDF, 70.6KB)
- Information for applicants (PDF, 92.9KB)
- Staff Benefits and Incentives (PNG, 1.2MB)
- Our Behaviours (PDF, 86.0KB)
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Jonathan Kwan
- Job title
- Medical Divisional Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
List jobs with Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust in Medical and Dental or all sectors